PLEASE JOIN US FOR THIS YEARS SUMMER FOOD SERVICE PROGRAM AT LEECHBURG FOR FOOD, FUN AND FRIENDS!"When school is out for the summer, meals will still be in session."Leechburg Area School District will once again be sponsoring a free Summer Meals Program for students, parents, and any interested community members!The difference between the summer food service program and the lunch program operated during the school year is that any student under the age of 18 can receive a free lunch, regardless of the family's income or whether or not that child attends Leechburg School District.Lunch will be served from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM and snack will be from 12:30 PM to 1 PM Monday through Friday. The program will run from June 12th, 2017 - August 11th, 2017 (closed July 3rd and 4th).While children under the age of 18 eat for free, adults accompanying their children can purchase a lunch for $3.50 and a snack for $1.50. You do not need to RSVP, simply show up at the Leechburg cafeteria on the day you wish to eat.Please be aware: Food has to be eaten on the premise; no food is able to leave the school. The Department of Agriculture does not allow parents to eat from their child's tray.To view the Summer Menu's, click the links below:To view this Summer's Activity Schedule, click the links below:
Summer Meals: Frequently Asked Questions
- What are summer meals programs? Summer meals programs are a federal child nutrition programs funded by the USDA and designed to provide kids and teens ages 18 and under healthy meals during the months of June, July, and August when school is out.
- What are the requirements for my child or teen to receive a meal? Do I have to fill out an application form? There is no application necessary to receive a meal and you do not have to show proof of income. Kids and teens ages 18 and younger can just show up at a summer meal site during the site’s hours of operation.
- Is there a cost? No. All summer meals offered through the USDA’s programs are FREE to all kids and teens ages 18 and younger.
- How do I find a Summer Meal site in my community? Summer meals sites are in the community at safe, supervised places like churches, schools and community centers. The Leechburg Area School District Cafeteria is a summer meals site J Call 2-1-1 to learn more or text FOOD to 877-877 to find other sites near you.
- What kind of food is served at these sites? The meals served are healthy and meet USDA guidelines. A typical lunch at Leechburg’s summer meals site, for example, will include a hamburger on wheat bread, milk, an apple and a salad.
- Do summer meal sites offer activities? Many sites offer fun learning and recreational activities in a safe, supervised environment.
- What else can I do to help? You can share information about free summer meals with your friends, neighbors and family members.
Any questions, please contact:The LASD Food Service Department724-842-0501 x 129
- Who funds free summer meals? Summer meals programs are funded by the USDA through the Summer Food Service Program and the National School Lunch Program and are administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.